WHAT IS COPYRIGHT?
Copyright shall subsist in any literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work (other than a Photo-graph). Meaning of copyright has been given in section 3 of the Copyright Ordinance, 1962.
Copyright Ordinance, 1962 protects specific types of work as stipulated in section 3 of the Copyright Ordinance, 1962 and empowered the author/owner of the work almost exclusive right to enjoy them for a long period but for certain period.
The works protected by the law include literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works as well as cinematic films and sound recording.
IMPORTANCE OF COPYRIGHT REGISTRATION
Obtaining registration certificate from the registrar of copyright will give immense benefits as in case of infringement of copyrighted work, the registration would be your prime evidence to establish that the holder of registration certificate is the real owner/creator of the copyright. In absence of registration, the ownership of copyright work may be proved but it will create difficulties.
WHO CAN APPLY FOR THE COPYRIGHT REGISTRATION?
The owner/creator of the copyright work can apply for the registration of copyright, either himself or through his/her attorney/lawyer/advocate by giving special power of attorney (Form K). There should be one application for one work.
REQUISITES FOR FILLING A COPYRIGHT APPLICATION:
- Name, address and nationality of the applicant
- Name, address and nationality of the author of the work
- Nature of applicant’s interest in the copyright i.e. OWNER / LICENSEE etc
- Title of the work
- A declaration signed by the author (if different from the applicant)
- Language of the work
- Whether the work is published or unpublished
- If the work is published, year and country of first publication and name, address and nationality of the publisher
- Year and countries of subsequent publications, if any
- Name, address and nationality of any other person authorized to assign or license the rights in the copyright
- Three hard copies of the work and three soft copies
- (For computer programs – 3 copies of the program on CD)
Contact us for Registration: 0321-1114499 | 042-35881104 | email@example.com